Schedule of presentations
This year we've decided to go to sunny Frascati near Rome.
What kind of event?
The event is a very informal meet up for Pentaho people from around Europe (and further afield if your boss doesn't mind footing the air fare ), to discuss the latest and greatest in Pentaho Innovation and other geek stuff. Community members are invited to give a Pentaho related presentation of their choosing. The intent is to keep it community oriented and not Pentaho marketing driven.
The format will be similar to BarCamp - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BarCamp. Community members are invited give a presentation or facilitate a session related to using Pentaho technology to solve problems. In addition to community sessions, most of the Pentaho Architects will be there to show off their latest stuff. People should be free to break off into groups and work together.
This is intended to be a community event - for the community and by the community. We have been taking feedback via Pentaho forums, IRC and through comments in this wiki. If there is a topic that you want to talk about or present on, please ask for a speaking slot or discuss in the forums.
- Technically oriented
- Not a Pentaho sales and marketing event
- Alcohol available
- Opportunity to show off stuff you have been working on.
- Everyone participates
- Minimal costs for attending.
Friday 23th September
09:30 pm - Meet up in front of Gelateria Bar Belvedere / Gran Cafe Roma (Address: Piazza Roma 1, Frascati) (Coordinates: 41.80704,12.680262, GMaps: http://g.co/maps/exmf5). Usually there's quite a crowd hanging around on the main square.
09:15 am - Drag Tom to the hotel
Saturday 24th September
09:30 am – Gathering at Villa Flora
10:00 am – Presentations
13:00 pm – Lunch (join proposal below or go out on yourself)
14:00 pm – Presentations
16:20 pm – Small coffe break at the meeting room and terrace
16:30 pm – Presentations cont.
18:30 pm – End of presentations
20:00 pm – Dinner and drinks, somewhere
Please see: Rome (Frascati) 2011 Gathering - Talk Proposals
Sunday 25th September
Most likely something for leisure...
- a visit to Rome, which can come in a 1000 flavors,
- wine tasting (Frascati DOC is a great white wine),
- other ideas welcome
Please see: Rome (Frascati) 2011 Gathering - Talk Proposals
How to get there
Rome's major airport is Roma Fiumicino (FCO), however you might want to explore Roma Ciampino (CIA) first, as this airport is very close to Frascati and served by Ryanair and other low cost airlines.
From Fiumicino Airport to Frascati:
- by train: The Leonardo Da Vinci Express will bring you to Roma Termini (central station) for 11€ every 20 minutes. From there you have a train to Frascati more or less every hour. Check: www.trenitalia.it
- by hotel shuttle: Ask your hotel whether they have a shuttle services. The better hotels do have it.
- by taxi: "Samarcanda taxi" offers a fixed price of 65€ from Fiumicino to Frascati. In order to get this rate: call nbr +390655282892 once you have your luggage. A taxi from Samarcanda will be available within 2-5 minutes on the Departures level in front of Terminal 2 (in front of the orange Easy Jet board). You need to mention customer code 5011 in order to get the fixed rate.
From Ciampino Airport to Frascati:
- by taxi: "Samarcanda taxi" offers a fixed price of 35€ from Ciampino to Frascati. In order to get this rate call nor +39065551 and mention customer code 5011. Samarcanda doesn't have a series of taxis dedicated to this airport (as in Fiumicino) so the earlier you can advice them on your arrival the better the chance you don't need to wait for them.
- by train: Not advised. You can take a bus from Ciampino Airport to Ciampino station for 1€, then take a train from Ciampino station to Frascati for another 1€. However trains are extremely scarse. Check www.trenitalia.it before you engage in this adventure.
- by hotel shuttle: Ask your hotel whether they have a (free) shuttle service. Most likely they do.
If you have access to this kind of technology, you might get there really quick.
Given the fact Italians are know to be so hospitable you might try: http://www.couchsurfing.org/
Or use one of these hotels in Frascati:
- http://www.hotel-flora.it/ **** (please do mention the code word "Pentaho" when booking here)
- http://www.hotelcolonna.it/ ***
- http://www.villatuscolana.eu/ **** (a bit out of the center, but beautiful location and with free shuttle service)
- http://www.hbellavista.it/ *** (right on the main square)
You can also use Google Maps for more hotel ideas.
Registrations / Who's Going
Please register over here (it's free): http://www.eventbrite.com/event/2024783181/
Just about all other decisions depend on having a good idea whether there will be 10 people or 100 people attending.
Follow us on Twitter
Twitter hashtag: #PCM11
Pictures from the event
Please make sure you study the following sentences so you blend in.
Some Roman slang to blend in with the younger crowds:
- Do stai andá?: "Where are you going?"
- Che stai a fá? "What are you doing?"
- Che pizza: "How boring!"
- Che fico: "How cool!"
NOT to be mixed with: Che fica: "What a great looking girl!" (less vulgar translation)
- Dai: "Oh come on!"
To blend in with a more developed crowd, you might want to show off with some Latin:
- Nunc est bibendum: "Now it's time to drink!"
- Aut disce aut discede: "Either learn or leave!"
- Adsum, qui feci: "Here I am, the one who did it!"
- Ad impossibilia nemo tenetur: "No one is obliged to do the impossible"
- Credo quia absurdum: "I believe it because it's absurd."
Lunch proposal Saturday
This is the lunch proposal for Saturday.
- Cost per person: 25,00 € - pay to Jan during the morning of Saturday
- List of confirmed Participants.xlsx.
- If your name is missing or you want to add a late booking: mail to email@example.com, title: PCM11 lunch buffet
- Scaglie di pecorino Brunelli
- Ricotta morbida
- Salame Corallina e prosciutto I.G.T. di Norcia
- Quiche con verdure di stagione
- Focaccia non lievitata con indivia e olive di Gaeta
- Insalata di misticanza con arista, emulsione ai fichi e caprino
Il tutto accompagnato da bottoncini e pizza bianca cotta a legna
Primi piatti (you can try all three if you want):
- Fusilloni alla norcina siciliana croccante
- Mezze maniche con julienne di verdure fresche e uovo speziato
- Calamarata con pesto rosso di mandorle e dadini di melanzane al profumo di menta
- Crostata artigianale cioccolato bianco e basilico
- Vini Locali
- Acqua minerale di Nepi
- Acqua liscia San Benedetto