Pentaho Data Integration Version 2.x
....works without problems in Windows 2000.
Pentaho Data Integration 3.x
...does not start since we added more functionality and more jar files. This leads to a longer classpath and there is a smaller limit of the command line in Windows 2000 then in newer Windows versions.
The solution is simple:
- Use the Kettle.exe file that is shipped with 3.2.x versions.
- [Tim added this, but the spoon.jar (referenced in the spoon2000.bat) is missing: Try the bat file found in the attachments of this page. This was verified as working on windows 2000 and JDK 1.5.0_07.]
- Delete a number of unused drivers in libext/JDBC and then try again.
- Or rename your directories to a shorter name.
- Or copy the Windows XP cmd.exe to Windows 2000. The limit is hard coded and hence the prompt from XP brings it and works in Windows 2000.
Please see also: http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-559
Another problem in such old systems can be: you have a too old Internet Explorer that is used to display our welcome page. When you experience a problem that Spoon starts but crashed without a warning than this can be the issue. Update your Internet Explorer to at least Version 6, see: http://jira.pentaho.org/browse/PDI-1042
Last but not least since upcoming 3.1: When you get an error like "org.eclipse.swt.SWTException: Unable to load graphics library [GDI+ is required] (java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError)" download the GDI+ redistributeable from here http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdkredist.htm. When you trust, you can only download gdiplus.dll e.g. fromhttp://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?gdiplus and copy into Windows / System32.
Pentaho Data Integration 4.x
... who really needs a solution with 4.0 and Windows 2K, the circumventions are shown on this page and in PDI-559 but Kettle.exe is removed from the distribution.