- Multiple clients view and update solution repository stored in an SVN Repository
- The Pentaho BI Platform initiates an update from version control by passing control to the versionControl.bat/sh file.
- The commands in the versionControl.bat/sh are executed.
- Resulting in an update to the solution repository on the file system that the Pentaho BI platform is pointing to.
- Upon successful completion of the versionControl.bat/sh control is returned to the Pentaho BI platform.
- The platform issues a command to move the files from the file system into the Db Based solution repository.
- The BI platform is now using the latest files from the SVN Repository.
The life-cycle management feature of Pentaho BI Platform Subscription Edition allows one to update your solution files from your version control system. The feature is sometimes simply called Version Control. This feature is accessed from the Version Control button on the Administration page. Clicking Version Control actually calls a script or batch file (
solution-path/system/versionControl.bat) that contains deployment-specific commands to update your solution files from your version control system. After the update from your version control system, your db-based repository will be refreshed from the new files.
The following is an example using a Subversion server hosted locally. It shows the creation of the local repository, an import of the
pentaho-solutions directory, the creation of a working copy of
pentaho-solutions, and a sample
versionControl.bat to update your working copy.
REM Shutdown your Pentaho BI Server
REM Before moving on you should backup you entire pentaho directory.
REM create the Pentaho Subversion repository
svnadmin create c:\pentaho-repos
REM create conventional Subversion directory layout so we can import it
REM Move your pentaho system folder to a temporary location. This folder should not be added to version control. We will restore it later.
move c:\pentaho\pentaho-solutions\system c:\Temp
REM Move the remainder of your solution to the trunk of the Subversion directory layout.
move c:\pentaho\pentaho-solutions c:\temp\pentaho-solutions\trunk
REM Import the Subversion directory layout into the Subversion repository
svn import c:\temp\pentaho-solutions file:///pentaho-repos/pentaho-solutions -m "Initial import"
REM check that your solutions are in the Subversion repository
svn list --verbose file:///pentaho-repos/pentaho-solutions/trunk/pentaho-solutions
REM Checkout the solution from the Subversion repository back into your BI server installation.
svn checkout file:///pentaho-repos/pentaho-solutions/trunk/pentaho-solutions
REM Put back the system folder
move c:\temp\system c:\pentaho\pentaho-solutions
Now that your solutions are imported into Subversion, you can edit and commit them and they will be versioned. Now in order for the Pentaho BI Platform Subscription Edition to see any changes committed to Subversion, use a
versionControl.bat similar to the following:
rem This is where you should place all the commands to update the solution repository from the
rem version control system.
"c:\program files\subversion\bin\svn" update