Instructions for installing a new or downloaded shim.
Before you start
Pentaho develops shims to support different Hadoop distributions. The most popular shims are already included with the software and the rest are available for download. The downloaded shims need to be installed manually. These instructions assume that you have already downloaded the shim you wish to install. If you have not, or don't understand what any of this means, you should read Configuring Pentaho for your Hadoop Distro and Version (Pentaho Suite Version 5.1).
These steps apply to installing a shim into the DI and BA Servers as well as the design tools Spoon, Report Designer, and Metadata Editor.
- Stop the application (e.g. Spoon, DI Server, Report Design, BA Server, Metadata Editor) if it is running.
- Copy the shim .zip file that you downloaded, to the hadoop-configurations folder. This folder is different for each application and located:
- DI Server - data-integration-server/pentaho-solutions/system/kettle/plugins/pentaho-big-data-plugin/hadoop-configurations
- Spoon - data-integration/plugins/pentaho-big-data-plugin/hadoop-configurations
- BA Server - biserver-ee/pentaho-solutions/system/kettle/plugins/pentaho-big-data-plugin/hadoop-configurations
- Pentaho Report Designer - report-designer/plugins/pentaho-big-data-plugin/hadoop-configurations
- Metadata Editor - metadata-editor/plugins/pentaho-big-data-plugin/hadoop-configurations
- Unzip the new shim. It should create a directory that is the name of the shim. For example, cdh42.zip should create a directory named cdh42. Do not rename the directory.
To set this new shim as the active Hadoop configuration, go to Set Active Hadoop Distribution.