The Pentaho Big Data Plugin Project provides support for an ever-expanding Big Data community within the Pentaho ecosystem. It is a plugin for the Pentaho Kettle engine which can be used within Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle), Pentaho Reporting, and the Pentaho BI Platform.
This project contains the implementations for connecting to or preforming the following:
- Pentaho MapReduce: visually design MapReduce jobs as Kettle transformations
- HDFS File Operations: Read/write directly from any Kettle step. All made possible by the ubiquitous use of Apache VFS throughout Kettle
- Data Sources
- JDBC connectivity
- Apache Hive
- Native RPC connectivity for reading/writing
- Apache HBase
- JDBC connectivity
- Git Repository: https://github.com/pentaho/big-data-plugin
- CI: pentaho-big-data-plugin
- Download the latest development build: pentaho-big-data-plugin-TRUNK-SNAPSHOT.tar.gz
The Big Data Forum exists for both users and developers. The community also manages the ##pentaho IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.
The Pentaho Big Data Plugin is built with Apache Ant and uses Apache Ivy for dependency management. All you'll need to get started is Ant 1.8.0 or newer to build the project. The build scripts will download Ivy if you do not already have it installed.
We recommend Apache IvyDE to manage your Ivy dependencies within Eclipse.
- Import pentaho-big-data-plugin into Eclipse
- Resolve the project using IvyDE
If IvyDE is not an option then you can manually add the jars from lib/ and libswt/ to your class path. This project, like all other Pentaho projects, uses the open source Subfloor Ant build framework. Running the following targets will configure the Eclipse project to reference the required libraries:
Then import or refresh the project in Eclipse.
We use the Fork + Pull Model to manage community contributions. Please fork the repository and submit a pull request with your changes.
Here's a sample git workflow to get you started:
- Create a Github account
- Fork the project from https://github.com/pentaho/big-data-plugin
- Clone your repository:
- * Hack away *
- Stage and commit changes. Please make sure your commit messages include the JIRA case for your changes. It should be in the format: [JIRA-CASE] Short description of fixes.:
- Push changes back up to Github:
- Submit a pull request from your project page. Please include a brief summary of what you changed and why.
Getting started with the Pentaho Data Integration Java API
Here's a list of known community plugins that fall into the "big data" category: