| Sales by Geographic Hierarchy|
The Sunburst chart shows a hierarchy as a series of rings. Each ring represents the children of the ring it encloses and the area of each slice corresponds to its value. The outer ring can have a color gradient.
Step 1: Download the plugin
Step 2: Follow the simple instructions for adding the plugin to your existing Pentaho BA Server
Step 3: Get Creative - explore your data, build cool stuff, amaze your friends and co-workers!
These visualizations are provided for demonstration purposes ONLY. They are provided with no warranty or commitments regarding the quality of the sample and/or platform support. Many of the underlying charting libraries used in these samples only work on a subset of browsers that are part of Pentaho's official support matrix.
Working With Sunbursts
- Drag one or more attributes into the "Data Points" shelf of the layout panel to define which members you wish to plot.
- Drag a measure into the measure shelf.
Optional: You can also tweak the chart properties as follows:
- Sorting - check this box to sort members descending within each attribute (inside out) based on the measure being charted
- Pattern - select the option for how you want to color the pie slices. Gradient and step coloring will automatically color code the outer most attribute (outer ring). The 'Pie Slices' option will color the child slices (outer ring) a shade of the same color as its parent pie slice (inner ring).
- Reverse colors - check this box to change the direction of colors, i.e. Change from Green-Yellow-Red to Red-Yellow-Green
- Click on one or more slices of the sunburst to filter data using the fly-out filtering bar (Keep Only|Exclude|Clear Selections)
- Double-click on a pie slice to drill into the hierarchy (assuming you are analyzing a Mondrian cube containing hierarchical dimensions).
Tell Us What You Think
We're having lots of fun experimenting with various emerging visualization technologies and we would love to get your feedback. Here are a couple of ways you can share:
- Update the Sunburst enhancement ticket (requires a JIRA login - free to create)
- Post feedback about additional ideas for improvements
- Get out and vote! All of the visualizations we are sharing are prototypes which we can consider for inclusion in future GA releases of the Pentaho suite. Voting for an enhancement is a great way to influence the priority in which we 'product-ize' these visualizations
- Tweet about it - got feedback or a cool example you've created and want to share? Tweet your comments or screenshots to #12DaysOfViz
- 'Double-click' to drill down will sometimes not work if you are using Internet Explorer as your web browser