A Calendar Chart is a Heatmap-like visualization where the values are visualized as colored cells per day. Days are arranged into columns by week, then grouped by month and years to form a heatmap in the layout of a calendar.
Step 1: Download the plugin
Step 2: Follow the simple instructions for adding the plugin to your existing Pentaho BA Server
Step 3: Get Creative - explore your data, build cool stuff, amaze your friends and co-workers!
These visualizations are provided for demonstration purposes ONLY. They are provided with no warranty or commitments regarding the quality of the sample and/or platform support. Many of the underlying charting libraries used in these samples only work on a subset of browsers that are part of Pentaho's official support matrix.
Working With Calendar Charts
- Drag the time related attributes into the layout panel
Note: You can either place a date field in the Date shelf, or you can drag individual Year/Month/Day attributes into the corresponding shelves. When using the individual Year/Month/Day attributes, you minimally need to provide a Year and a Month.
- Drag a measure into the 'Color By' shelf indicating the measure by which you want to color code the month(s) or day(s). Colors will be assigned by default in a gradient pattern from Green (highest value) to Yellow to Red (lowest value).
- Drag a measure into the 'Size By' shelf indicating the attribute you want to base the size of the circles on.
Note: You don't need to assign both a 'Color By' and a 'Size By' attribute, you can assign either/or/both.
- Click on one or more circles in the calendar chart to filter data using the fly-out filtering bar (Keep Only|Exclude|Clear Selections)
- The follow chart properties are provided to further refine your visualizations:
- Pattern - selecting the Gradient pattern will color values using a smooth range of colors along the color range specified by the 'Color' chart property. The step options plot all values using one of 3 or 5 colors according to the 'Color' property
- Color - select the color range to use for color coding the values on the chart
- Reverse colors - check to reverse the color range. For example, instead of Green (highest value)|Yellow|Red (lowest value), check the box to color values by Green (lowest value)|Yellow|Red (highest value)
Tell Us What You Think
We're having lots of fun experimenting with various emerging visualization technologies and we would love to get your feedback. Here are a couple of ways you can share:
- Update the Calendar Chart enhancement ticket
- Post feedback about additional ideas for improvements
- Get out and vote! All of the visualizations we are sharing are prototypes which we can consider for inclusion in future GA releases of the Pentaho suite. Voting for an enhancement is a great way to influence the priority in which we 'product-ize' these visualizations
- Tweet about it - got feedback or a cool example you've created and want to share? Tweet your comments or screenshots to #12DaysOfViz